School Board approves plan for additional elementary school make up time if needed
Tuesday, Mar. 25
Fauquier Times Staff
On Monday evening the Fauquier County School Board authorized the superintendent to proceed with recommended calendar changes if there are more hours missed from school due to inclement weather. The changes would affect elementary schools only.
FCPS elementary schools have just over two banked hours remaining to stay within the Code of Virginia’s 990-hour requirement for instruction. Should the division miss additional days (for snow, flooding, etc.), elementary schools will do the following in order to remain in compliance with state Code:
· 1 additional day missed: June 9 and 10 become full days for elementary
· 2 additional days missed: Elementary will attend school Wednesday, June 11.
· 3 additional days missed: Elementary will attend school Thursday, June 12.
· 4 additional days missed: Elementary will attend school Friday, June 13.
(Adjustments will be made within this plan if the school division should have delayed openings or early dismissals. No adjustment would be needed for one such event; however, if there are two additional delayed openings or early dismissals, June 9 would be become a full day; if there are four, June 10 would become a full day.)
Following is the list of prior changes made to this year’s calendar in order to meet state code requirements for instruction following 17 missed days and four two-hour delays (the calendar already had five makeup days built in):
· Thursday, March 27 and Friday, March 28 are changed from early dismissal to full days for all FCPS.
· Monday, April 21, the final day of the scheduled six-day spring break, is a school day. (Twelve-month employees will have holidays on Thursday, April 17 and Friday, April 18.)
· Beginning Monday, March 10, all elementary schools added 10 minutes to the end of the school day through the remainder of this school year.
Get Headlines Every Tuesday and Thursday By Email