Roof fire destroys home on Wilson Road
Firefighters prepare to enter a smoldering home on Wilson Road Wednesday. - Photo by Mark Grandstaff
A roof fire gutted a home on Wilson Road Wednesday.
Fauquier 9-1-1 dispatchers sent out the call for a fire in the 7500 block of Wilson Road at about 11:45 a.m. The family inside noticed the roof burning, and fled the house to safety.
Every fire and rescue agency in Fauquier County, as well as Little Fork, Amissville, Linden and Middleburg, sent trucks and fire engines to the blaze, said Fauquier Battalion Chief R. J. Arft.
The house burned atop a hill, at the end of a driveway a half mile from Wilson Road. An initial "assignment" for a fire is five fire trucks, Arft said. Firefighters needed to use four of those trucks to daisy-chain a hose from the water fill site to the house itself.
At 12:09 p.m., an evacuation tone blared on the fire and rescue radio, ordering firefighters to evacuate the building.
Some of the firefighters were standing at the thresholds of entryways, or were just inside, when pieces of the burning house began to collapse. The firefighters were called back because the falling debris could spray out more smoke and fire, Arft said.
"We were just trying to make sure our guys were safe," Arft said.
The wind had carried embers into a field of dried leaves, which smoldered and burned around a trampoline and a satellite dish. The intensity of the blaze forced firefighters to attack it from the outside in. They eventually controlled the fire, but not before it had destroyed the roof.
The occupants were not harmed, Arft said, and Red Cross is providing emergency shelter for the family displaced by the fire. Anyone who wishes to make donations should call the Piedmont branch of the Central Virginia chapter of the American Red Cross at (434) 979-7143.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
Get Headlines Every Tuesday and Thursday By Email