The Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company urges town and county residents to make sure their smoke detectors are working.
Firefighters from Warrenton and other volunteer companies have responded to several house and chimney fires over the past week. One of the fires, at Turnbull Road Saturday night, proved fatal for one occupant.
"It has not been determined if a working smoke detector was in the home," said Warrenton Chief Sam Myers in a release.
For information on fire safety measures, visit Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company's site.
"If you do not have detectors, please consider installing them, these small smoke detectors may very well save you and your family!" Myers said in the release.
Anyone who needs help installing a smoke detector can contact the fire department at (540) 347-0522.